Saturday, June 26, 2004

VIDEO: Waking Ned Devine

It's been an up and down week. Besides concentrating on the two sports drafts and a little work besides, I had a chance to catch three DVD's. The best of the lot, by far, was Waking Ned Devine.

Earlier in the weekend I'd seen two pretty forgettable movies. Identity is an atmospheric up-scale slasher movie with John Cusack, Ray Liotta and Amanda Peet. Cusack rarely does anything unwatchable and Peet is VERY watchable (although, strangely, fully-clothed throughout the movie), but slasher flicks, even one like this that elegantly avoid showing the actual blood-letting, just don't interest me. I counter-pointed Identity with Dawg. Dawg starts Dennis Leary, a funny one-note actor (cocky and angry), and gorgeous Elizabeth Hurley. She's the pretty one with no acting ability beyond her god-given Brit accent. Leary is Leary, Hurley is Hurley, the plot's meaningless and you end up asking yourself why you bought the movie in the previously-viewed bin. Five bucks if you were thinking of asking.

Not wanting to end the week on such a weak viewing double-header, I pulled out Waking Ned Devine. I'm not a fan of British humour, yet some of my favourite movies of all time are little British efforts, usually ones that tweak the nose of the high and mighty. Brit Grit nor Monty Python I don't need. Just gentle laughter.

This movie is no Local Hero, second on my list of favourite movies behind North to Alaska. If that hasn't scared you, and some might STILL be recoiling at naming a John Wayne flick the most enjoyable of all time, let me tell you that you WILL enjoy Waking Ned Devine.

The main artifice in this movie is a winning lottery ticket held by a dead man. That prompts more than one romp over the roads while riding starkers on a motor-bike, a plot to defraud the Irish Lotto authority of close to seven million pounds, and a delicious come-uppance for a nasty witch of a lady courtesy of a returning vicar ... thus tacitly gaining heavenly approval for knocking the old battle-axe off. In fact, the whole movie is about lies with more noble purposes.

There's also a love story between Maggie and Pig Flynn for the romantic at heart and a worldly youngster offering advice to the town's substitute vicar. Cute. Precocious. Yeah. But fun anyway.

The movie ends somewhat abruptly. I was awaiting Maggie's spurned love stepping in where the witch was headed, but I guess like a lot of good movies, it left me wanting more.

Now remember, this isn't a great movie. But it will bring more than the odd smile to your face.

No comments: