Thursday, July 01, 2004

MUSIC: A List

Somebody asked me who'd seen this site what were my favourite songs. M-O-R wasn't going to satisfy their curiosity. So, I made up a list, generally in the order I have them on my favourite songs playlist when I decide to have music playing in the background while working. My one rule was only one song per group or singer. Otherwise, I would have listed the Corrs' discography and been done with it.

You should know that most of my pre-adult years were spent listening to my father and Uncle Doug practice for the band they were in, Ivan Davidson and the IvaTones. It was a dance band and Pops was usually playing every Friday and Saturday for many years. I heard a LOT of guitar practice when I was a kid.

1. Weekend in New England by Barry Manilow. My favourite part of the USA gave birth to my favourite Yankee. I miss her.
2. Wildfire by Michael Murphy. Haunting.
3. Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners. The best from the chameleon band.
4. I Honestly Love You by Olivia Newton-John. I believe, I believe!
5. 2 in a Million by S Club 7. Not the first TV group you'll see here.

6. Running Bear by either Sonny James or Johnny Preston. Dad likes country music. A lot. Didn't completely rub off, but ...
7. 99 Red Ballons by Nena. Either English or German, since I spent a good chunk of my baby years in Germany.
8. Honey by Bobby Goldsboro. Well, that's embarassing isn't it?
9. How Will I Know by Whitney Houston. Not THE famous one, but the best one.
10. So Young by the Corrs. A pick'em affair. You cannot go wrong listening to the Corrs. Andrea Corr is this century's Olivia Newton-John.

11. Missing You by Puff Daddy or whatever Sean Combs is going by these days. Better than John Waite's very good song of the same name.
12. Touch of Grey by the Grateful Dead. Biographical?
13. Weak in the Presence of Love by Alison Moyet. An ode to babies.
14. He's So Shy by the Pointer Sisters. My standard excuse.
15. Daydream Believer by the Monkees. I'm a sleepyhead too.

16. Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley. It would be cheating to list the UB40 version here and go with another Presley tune. But this is his best.
17. Graduation (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C. A fond look back at school days.
18. Cherish by Madonna. Oddly enough, just about the only song of hers I like, and I like it a lot.
19. Best of My Love by The Emotions. And you thought I'd have the Eagles here!
20. Centrefield by John Fogarty. I was the player, then I was the coach. I GET this song.

21. Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden. A song you can play back to back ... if you believe.
22. Cruel to Be Kind by Nick Lowe. Hey, I AM a grump after all.
23. Let's Hear it for the Boy by Deneice Williams. The best song from the best movie soundtrack ever, Footloose.
24. Nikita by Elton John. I understand long-distance longing, so this is THE John song.
25. Una Paloma Blanca by The George Baker Selection. I'm scared of heights, but let that dove fly.

26. Thank You for the Music by ABBA. Again, one song from a long list of enjoyable songs. THIS is the band I originally bought a VCR for, to record their Australia special.
27. In a Big Country by Big Country. A booming sound and a BIG concept. Love it.
28. The Most Beautiful Girl by Charlie Rich. I met her.
29. All I Want to Do is Dream by Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell. Many versions, this one's best, I think.
30. In Your Wildest Dreams by the Moody Blues. Actually pretty tame. Nothing wrong with that.

31. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong. Okay, even a grump can get hopeful once in a while.
32. You're My First, My Last, My Everything by Barry White. From growl to velvet.
33. I Get Weak by Belinda Carlisle. Could switch place with Moyet's tune and it wouldn't be wrong.
34. Drive Me Wild by Sawyer Brown. A kickly video, but the music in this one merits top fourty standing.
35. Stand By Me by Ben E. King. More Motown SHOULD be on this list.

36. My Eyes Adored You by Frankie Valli. Nikita's predecessor.
37. Boy From New York City by The Manhattan Transfer. Tough choice over Trickle, Trickle.
38. Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas. You CANNOT get this out of your head when you hear it.
39. These Eyes by Natalie Cole. Again, a tough choice over This Will Be.
40. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes. A whole story in one song.

Well, that's the top 40 on MY MOR station. Ten songs that just missed were Don Williams' I Believe in You, Lace's I Want A Man, Aqua's Barbie Girl, Rickie Lee Jones' Chuck E's in Love, Boomtang Boy's Squeeze Toy, The Tokens' The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Minnie Ripperton's Loving You, TG Sheppard's Only One You, The Spinners' Could It Be I'm Falling in Love and Boy Meets Girl's Waiting for a Star To Fall.

Well, that's the list of what I can spend two, three hours listening to when I'm in the mood.

No comments: