Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SOFTWARE: Over My Dead Vista!

It's been a few days now, but I think I'm over my brief flirtation with Vista. I can't prove it, but my sore knee is undoubtedly from kicking myself at night, while asleep, for allowing that gawdawful misconception of an operating system to enter my home.

It should have been an hour-long job. Two hours tops. Set up two accounts, one for a mother, the other for the daughter, on a laptop. Install some professional tools for the mom (Office, Photoshop, etc.) and freeware equivalents for the daughter (Open Office, Gimp, some school study aids, etc). The mother needs total security that the daughter can't get into her data, and the mom needs snoopability for the kid. Like I said, a simple one-hour job with either Windows 2000 or Win XP. Heck, I bet I could do it in less time on the Mac.

Vista? Ten hours spread over three days. Lots of enjoyable sports ruined while I fussed over Vista fussing over me.

What's worse, I was told I couldn't do anything about the eye-candy, despite it slowing down the computer and making it hard to read. I sort of guessed that, when the laptop arrived complete with a flower shell on the outside and along the inside palm rest. Still, I struggled through.

I DID get the stuff set up as I needed to, rather than as I wanted to. I think the ladies in question will be able to make ample use out of what I set up. But they'll eventually go batty from all of the "Are you SURE you trust this application" type message. The daughter won't like having Mom monitor all installs, unless she waits until the computer is on but Mom's not around. Then she can log in and install stuff to her heart's delight. AND if she find a .DOC file (say, by saving an Open Office document to the Microsoft format), double-clicking on it will start up Microsoft Word.

Security? Better on Vista? Surely, sir, you are having me on!

I've done my best, but it crystallized my long-held belief that Vista is nothing but a prettier Windows ME, with too much in it for Microsoft and their commercial buddies, and too little for ANY SANE USER (Darshan and Don excepted). So from now on, the friendly approach to friends with computer needs is changed.

I WILL NOT WORK ON VISTA MACHINES. PERIOD. NO NEGOTIATION. CAN'T PAY ME. PERIOD. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

No where are those headache pills?

No comments: