Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SOFTWARE: Nag, Nag, Nag

The first of the nags from Mozilla to upgrade Firefox from version 2.x to 3.01 appeared on my desktop tonight. These nags will continue until I give in and upgrade or until December, when the Mozilla Foundation will cease to care about my upgrading.

At that point, version 2.x of Firefox will no longer be supported or cared about.

A little bit harsh, but I've known it was coming. There WILL be upgrades to Firefox 2.x between now and the deadline at the end of the year. In fact, another one is due in mid September. It will be up to you to read the nag notice and discern whether the upgrade they are offering is to Firefox 2.x or an upgrade to Firefox 3.x.

I, on the other hand, will be holding out a tad bit longer. MOST of my complaints with FF3 have been answered, save for the major pain in the posterior. When I middle click on a folder in FF2, the bookmarks in the folder open up in new tabs on the far right of my list of opened tabs. I DO NOT MOVE. This allows me to middle click on four or five folders in rapid succession. They will open (eventually) at the far right side while I mosey my way through the tab I am on. It's a most civilized behaviour.

FF3, on the other hand, screws this up royally. If I have the Toronto Sun Sunshine girl page open, perusing the young lass's bio, but middle click on my DailySports folder, I am instantly transported away from the lovely sight to a page of baseball news, the first of the bookmarks in DailySports. Should I then middle-click on DailyComputers, those tabs will open up to the IMMEDIATE right of the baseball news, before the rest of sports, and I will suddenly be looking at the daily digest of Delphi news, having skipped one tab to the right, away from the baseball news. And on and on. It's a most uncivilized behaviour.

WHEN FF3 either corrects this odious behaviour, or allows me to configure it so, or a third-party add-in arrives to fix the day, THEN I will happily switch over to FF3. It's faster, leaner and has some REAL interesting add-ins that are not available for FF2.

Until then, nag, nag, nag all you want. I'm immune to complaining.

No comments: