Tuesday, February 24, 2009

BOOKS: The EMail I Get ....

My niece by agreement, Angela, made my day today. Her mother emailed me with the news that one of my Christmas gifts had found favour when Angela finally found the time to read it. Despite being surrounded by a reading family and having me foisting books on her every birthday and Christmas, Angela didn't exactly take to reading for pleasure.

Harry Potter came, enraptured her dad, her brother and me ... and went right by her. Same thing with Eoin Colfer's books.The problem was, we were thinking like guys. Really, that was what we were doing. Dunnh!

On her own Angela discovered Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. THAT was apparently the key to turning Angela onto reading. Not exactly something I would have anticipated, but I knew enough to mine the same territory and got her the first in the Dead series by Marlene Perez, Dead is the New Black.

She finally got to it on Sunday, starting and finishing it all in 48 hours. Then she asked her mother to get her the next two books in the series and was willing to spend her OWN money to get them.

I'm busting at the seams, and it's not due to a big supper.

Best was the quote passed along by Dawna. "Who knew that reading was so much fun - if I had known this before, I would have done this years ago."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you looked at Markus Zusak. his book the Book Thief is one of the best written books I've read in years. it's a holocaust book so the subject is a little dark but it is really wonderful. it's billed as a young adult book. he has several others that I've not read because they look even more slanted to teen readers. if the Amazon reviews don't make them look too much like boys books, I'd recommend a look. the Book Thief has a girl as the central character.