Tuesday, March 04, 2008

SOFTWARE: Another Reason Why Firefox is Better

Microsoft bashing has passed from being art to being ... as simple as breathing. Why ANYBODY who isn't forced to by company dictate or web-site requirement uses Internet Explorer is beyond me. Totally, 100% beyond me. Can't understand why you would be so dumb as to continue using the security-lax, feature-poor product when Mozilla Firefox does SOOOOO much more.

There's a zillion reasons (and add-ins) to explain why you should be using Firefox. But here's just one to think about.

I was uninstalling some software today and the uninstaller, in its brainless wisdom, decided to reboot my machine to 'finish' off the uninstall. At the time, I had a Firefox session running with three tabs open, including two tabs that might be hard to find all over again. I uttered the usual curse word (see Feb 08 posts) and then remembered, all WOULD be well.

That's because, when Firefox is closed through backdoor methods, i.e. by a reboot with all kinds of programs running, it offers to RESTORE everything you were looking at when the incident occurred! When I clicked OK, it brought back the tab with the instruction sheet for preventing AutoRun attacks, the BookCellarSales.com site promoting the day's special on Conan and the Spider God and the last tab, the one with the day's TV Guide on it. No harm, no foul.

I have no idea what led me to https://bookcellarsales.com, an on-line association for booksellers in the Mid-Atlantic area. But trying to keep my Conan collection complete just got easier. I think I got to http://windowssecrets.com/2007/11/08/02-One-quick-trick-prevents-AutoRun-attacks from one of my regular blog readings, but can't remember where. It's a bit techy and only for experts (or people infuriated by having that What To Do box come up EVERY time they stick a USB drive into the computer). In both cases, I am grateful that Firefox can out-think other programs lack of thinking.

No comments: