Monday, February 11, 2008

HEALTH: Get Your Colonoscopy

Less than two months ago, my father was diagnosed with colon cancer. Today, I got the phone call that he had checked out as cancer free and was looking at a long life phoning me up to ask questions about his computer.

Less than two months.

I know cancer is the biggest, scariest word any family can hear these days. But it doesn't have to be. My father lives an active life that includes a good diet. He knows his body pretty well. And as soon as he detected something unusual in his day to day life, he went and got himself checked up. That's despite being completely scoped out not that long ago. When he got the diagnosis just before Christmas, various family members reacted various ways. The least concerned amongst us was Dad, himself, and me. I KNEW he had had the ugly growth detected early. And colon cancer is a very survivable cancer for those that get it.

So unconcerned about the whole thing was Pops, that he slept in on the day of his operation. If he was unconcerned, I wasn't going to go against his confidence.

He had good doctors, both diagnosing and operating. The best in the province in the latter case. As I understand it, two growths were removed. MRI's and other tests done last Thursday showed a complete lack of cancer cells. The doctors tell him there is better than an 85 per cent chance the particular cancer will not come back.

My mother is now free to kick him in the butt for just cause. Won't be long before he affords her with the cause. In other words, things will be back to normal down at the lake where the Eastern branch of the Clan Mugford resides.

All because Dad got checked out. I truly appreciate his efforts in doing so. It saved the whole family from so much pain and remorse. I hope you and your family never even have to go through even two months of uncertainty. All your loved ones of an advancing age should get colonoscopies. They are life and lifestyle saving.

NOTE: Yes, my flu's gone and the doctor is setting up a second shot at my own. In March, as I understand it. It's to be done around the March Madness schedule that has me glued to the tube anyway.

No comments: