Saturday, February 16, 2008

MISC: Notes From Everywhere

Nothing to babble on at length, so here are some thoughts.

The Toronto Star once more affirmed the validity of eating an apple a day. Better still, Dr. Joe Schwarcz has put out a book called "An Apple A Day." Dr. Joe is a great writer who brings science down to a level an old coot like me can understand. And maybe I'll keep understanding. Apples are seen as one way to help stave off Alzheimer's Disease. And frankly, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I eat apples for digestion purposes. At least that's the way I remember it.

The TV series Damages is coming to Canada. I thought the pilot was one of the best I saw last year. The unfortunate fact was, that by the end of the series, all of it well done, I didn't like any of the characters in it. Shouldn't there be somebody to root for, rather than against?

Every wannabe-mobster who phones up a radio show and excoriates Andy Pettitte for ratfinking out his best pal, Roger Clemens is a moron who would do society a favour by never having children. It's fine to lie a little white lie for your friends. We've all done it. I've asked friends to do it for me. MOSTLY it's about protecting the feelings of others. Occasionally it's self-serving. But the willingness to lie (or misremember) ends at the end of a legal summons. You don't ask me to make myself a criminal on your behalf. THAT is friendship. Otherwise, these anonymous little weenies who would wet their pants if they ever got a subpoena, should just SHUDDAP!

Gregg Zaun now seems no more credible than Roger The Dodger. Sad, really. Zaun's story that the cheque to Kirk Radomski that earned him inclusion in the Mitchell report was actually a payoff on a gambling deck to Jason Grimsley, strains credulity. The story would have had more weight if it'd come out two months ago. Now it sounds like the poor result of two months of thinking up stories. Zaun's answer to "Have you ever used illegal performance-enhancing drugs?" is the legal reply, "I have never tested positive for drugs and never been in violation of Major League Baseball's drug policies." Sorry, that's a euphemism for, "Yeah, but...." Zaun overcame a hard-living lifestyle to turn into the kind of player kids can look up to. No more. Pity. I liked him.

The reviews have been mixed for Jumper. I read all three Jumper books last year and have been looking forward to this movie for some time. I'm still going. Even if just for the scenery. For those of you who see the movie and are disappointed, do yourself the favour of picking up the first book in the series. Stephen Gould wrote two great books and a so-so third book, but the movie is to blame for the third book. Griffin's Story was obviously a pre-movie tie-in, introducing the Griffin character and, more importantly, the paladins. The original story wasn't complicated by black hat conspiracies.

It's Family Day on Monday. More peace and quiet here in the Castle of Confusion. Just like today and just like Thursday. The joys of a solitary existence is that every day seems like a holiday. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

No comments: