Thursday, June 26, 2008

SPORTS: No Reason to Watch Highlights, Read Paper

When Monday morning dawns, I will not have a single pool or rotisserie sports entry in play. For the first time in more than a decade. Closer to 20 years, actually.

Because the 20-year old roto baseball league is on hiatus this year, there is no reason to inspect the line-scores every morning while reading the paper. No reason to agonize through the wire portion of the highlights on TV, hoping you DON'T see one of your players listed as having been injured and will be out six to eight weeks. Or the dreaded "day to day." No shouting 'Yabba dabba doooooooooo' as you see one of your guys do something point worthy.

If I sound depressed, I am.

The hockey and basketball pools ended badly for me. I paid up yesterday. THAT was depressing. Life hasn't even thrown me a bone by letting me do well in the soccer pool. I know nothing about soccer, but I was hoping somebody up there was going to try and balance the scales for the Lakers' el-foldo act in the NBA final. Nope. My pre-event pick of Spain is STILL alive, but I picked Russia to beat them in the two round-by-round pools I'm in. Even if Spain DOES win it all, my third pool entry still won't make the top results.

I am SOOOO looking forward to October and the start of the OOPS hockey roto league. Only 96 days to go. Not that I'm counting or anything.

No comments: